The 2019 Governor's Internship Program application is open!
The Governor’s Internship Program assists college students in locating meaningful summer employment within West Virginia government agencies, private businesses, and nonprofit organizations.
Ideally, students are placed in internships where they can gain experience relevant to their academic interests while learning under and being supervised by a professional in that field. Internships generally last nine to thirteen weeks during the summer and pay at least minimum wage
An applicant must meet the following eligibility criteria:
Required Application Materials:
- An applicant must have a cumulative college/university GPA of 3.0 or greater. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- An applicant must have completed at least one academic year of study at an accredited college or university by May 2019. High School graduates who have taken college courses prior to graduation from High School are NOT eligible.
- An applicant must be a currently enrolled student at a West Virginia college or university, or a West Virginia resident attending an accredited college or university elsewhere.
- A completed application submitted online.
- A current copy of your unofficial college transcript
- One letter of recommendation from a person who can evaluate the applicant’s suitability for this program. (NOTE: The transcript and letter of recommendation need only be submitted if the applicant is selected for an interview. Please do not mail these documents unless requested.)
The selection of interns is highly competitive and host agencies that participate base their selection process on the degree area that is needed for the internship at the time. Participating state agencies, private business and organizations are granted access to the database of candidate applications, and then they set up the interview with their desired candidate. This is when the applicant would bring their unofficial transcript and recommendation letters. The number of students applying usually exceeds the number of positions available; therefore, not all candidates submitting an application will be interviewed or selected to participate in the program.
Throughout the summer, the Governor’s Internship Program sponsors enrichment events for the interns. These enrichment events vary in scope and can include networking, outings, and tours of the West Virginia State Capitol, the Governor's Mansion, and the West Virginia State Museum.